Re: BUG #11455: PQerrorMessage not reset after PQreset - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Caleb Epstein
Subject Re: BUG #11455: PQerrorMessage not reset after PQreset
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Test program (C++0x) attached.  Run it with a connection info string as argv[1].  It should print a dot once per second while the DB connection is OK, but will print the PQerrorMessage text when the connection fails, and then will PQreset the connection.  Each time it prints the error you can see all the previous error content and the error buffer just keeps growing and growing rather than resetting when PQreset is called.

If instead of calling "PQreset", one calls "PQfinish" and "PQconnectdb" (e.g. change the call from "reset" to "reconnect" on line 39), you'll (naturally) see just the most recent error.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Tom Lane tgl-at-sss.pgh.pa.us |postgresql-bklyn| <uabn4z8tjt@sneakemail.com> wrote:
postgresql-bklyn@sneakemail.com writes:
> I'm testing application logic to reconnect to my database server after a
> connection failure.  I'm using PQreset() and I notice that the
> PQerrorMessage() result keeps growing after each failed reconnect.

It's unlikely that anyone is going to look into this unless you provide
a self-contained test case (ie, a small program that reproduces the
misbehavior).  It's too hard to guess exactly what you did.

Caleb Epstein
Attachment