Re: Slow planning time - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From John Scalia
Subject Re: Slow planning time
Date
List pgsql-admin
Yep, your memory settings look like they might be OK. Now, when you say a bulk update with a vacuum done afterwards, is this a regular vacuum or a vacuum full? You do know that a vacuum as opposed to a vacuum full doesn't actually shrink the table by removing the deleted tuples? Only a vacuum full does that, Of course, the vacuum full locks the entire table so use with caution. Also, after a full vacuum, I believe you should run another normal vacuum as that will rebuild the planner statistics on the newly shrunk table.

As far as your last comment, on the insert of 100 rows being slow. Was that slow prior to the insert or did you actually measure prior?  Could these simply be where you're missing or have corrupted indexes? What does explain tell you about the execution strategy? Do you see a lot of sequential scans or index scans? Could you try dropping an index and recreating it in the event you might have a corrupted index? I know this last suggestion is a very rare occurrence, but it has happened to me.