Re: Trying to change the owner of some tables - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From John Scalia
Subject Re: Trying to change the owner of some tables
Date
List pgsql-admin
Everything has been corrected. The newly reloaded database is behaving much better. I did manage to get all my permission issues satisfied, although I have a followup question: For the two roles I wished to delete, I issued a revoke all privileges on each schema in the DB with a cascade option, but if I looked at table, relname in pg_class, I would still see that role as having select, update, and delete for the role's permission. Why wouldn't those be revoked when doing a revoke all privileges? Did I miss something?

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net> wrote:

> John Scalia wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to build a new server from a copy of one of our live Dbs, and I imported the schema from there and am now trying to get this new server setup with the right ownership
>> and permissions. All the tables are/were owned by user A, and I've changed most of them to user B (names changed to protect the innocent, etc.,) However, some tables from the
>> pg_dump I used to grab the schema, do not show up using \d nor can I see them in pg_class. I only found them when I tried to drop user A and psql complained. They appear to be in a
>> different schema and I could change them one at a time, but there are more than 2200 of these. For the tables I've already changed, I just performed an update on pg_class where
>> relowner = numeric ID of user A to set that to the numeric ID of user B.
>
> You could try the REASSIGN OWNED BY command.
>
> Doing manual updates of relowner might not be the greatest idea ever; if
> any of these tables have grants, the representation of the grantor might
> be borked after that.

And I wonder about dependency records too?

> --
> Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting