Re: Correction to comment regarding atomicity of an operation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: Correction to comment regarding atomicity of an operation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
class="gmail_quote"style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class="im">On Wed, Sep
12,2012 at 06:44:37AM -0400, Gurjeet Singh wrote:<br /> > Thinking a bit more about the need for locks, I guess even
theshared<br /> > variables whose read/write ops are considered atomic need to be protected<br /> > by locks so
nicecoverage of such issues.<br /><br /> NUMA does not change the picture.  CPU architecture specifications define<br
/>ordering constraints for instructions that touch memory.  NUMA is a property<br /> of specific system implementations
thatchanges performance characteristics,<br /> but not functional guarantees, of those instructions.<br
beensold in the market, quite possibly because of the difficulty to write programs for them. The NUMA machines in use
areeffectively ccNUMA (cc for cache-coherent).<br /><br />So when people talk about NUMA (like, I think you are doing
above),they mean the ccNUMA. So, based on what little I know about it, I think there are differences between functional
guaranteesprovided by ccNUMA and those provided by non-ccNUMA (regular NUMA). I may be totally off here, so please
correctme if needed.<br /><br /><a
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Uniform_Memory_Access#Cache_coherent_NUMA_.28ccNUMA.29">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Uniform_Memory_Access#Cache_coherent_NUMA_.28ccNUMA.29</a><br