Re: xlog location arithmetic - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: xlog location arithmetic
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 01/14/2012 09:12 AM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
But I must adjust the patch based on the thread comments (basically,
numeric output). I have a new patch but need to test it before submitting it.
I'll post this weekend.

It's now at https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=776 listed as waiting on you right now.  It's good to put patches into the CF application early.  Helps planning, and gives a safety net against all sorts of things.  We wouldn't want something this obviously useful to get kicked out if, for example, you lost your Internet connection over the weekend and then didn't technically qualify as having submitted it there before the deadline.  As someone who sweated today for two hours when my power at home was turned off to install a new circuit breaker, I'm feeling particularly paranoid right now about that sort of thing here.
he patch
The fact that you got some review feedback before the official CF start doesn't mean you can't be listed there right now.  In fact, those are things I like to see tracked.  Having links to all of the e-mail messages that were important turning points for a feature that changed during review is very helpful to reviewers and committers.  And the easiest way to keep up with that is to start as early as possible:  add it to the app right after the first patch submission.

I agree.

So lets make it easy for the patch submitter to start the process. I propose that we have a page in the CF application where people can upload/attach the patch, and the app posts the patch to -hackers and uses the post URL to create the CF entry.

Regards,
--
Gurjeet Singh
EnterpriseDB Corporation