Re: CommandStatus from insert returning when using a portal. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: CommandStatus from insert returning when using a portal.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 1:03 PM Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote:

> With a simple insert such as
>
> INSERT INTO test_table (cnt) VALUES (1), (2) RETURNING id
>
> if a portal is used to get the results then the CommandStatus is not returned on the execute only when the portal is
closed.After looking at this more it is really after all of the data is read which is consistent if you don't use a
portal,however it would be much more useful if we received the CommandStatus after the insert was completed and before
thedata

> Obviously I am biased by the JDBC API which would like to have
>
> PreparedStatement.execute() return the number of rows inserted without having to wait to read all of the rows
returned

I believe if RETURNING clause is use, the protocol-level behaviour of
INSERT is expected to match that of SELECT. If the SELECT command
behaves like that (resultset followed by CommandStatus), then I'd say
the INSERT RETURNING is behaving as expected.

Best regards,
Gurjeet
http://Gurje.et