Trouble incrementing a column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Blake McBride
Subject Trouble incrementing a column
Date
Re: Trouble incrementing a column  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

I am using PostgreSQL 10.10.  I am having trouble incrementing a column for reasons I can't see.  It's probably some basic SQL thing.  Your help is appreciated.

create table my_table (
    listid char(36) not null,
    seq smallint not null,
    item varchar(4096),
    primary key (listid, seq)
);

insert into my_table (listid, seq) values ('abc', 1);
insert into my_table (listid, seq) values ('abc', 2);

-- the following works some of the time
update my_table set seq=seq+1;

-- the following doe not work for reasons I do not know
update my_table set seq=seq+1 where listid='abc';

What I get is a duplicate primary key.  I wouldn't think I'd get that because I'd think the whole thing is done in a transaction so that duplicate checks wouldn't be done till the end (essentially).

Is there a clean way to do this?

Thanks!

Blake McBride