Is there a way to avoid hard coding database connection info into views? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Christensen
Subject Is there a way to avoid hard coding database connection info into views?
Date
List pgsql-general
I often manually pull in production data into my test database so I
can test new code on realistic data, as well as test upgrade scenarios
or repro data specific bugs.  To do this, I've setup a `VIEW` for each
production table in my test database.  These views look something like
this:

    CREATE VIEW ProdLink.Users AS
       select * from dblink(
          'hostaddr=123.123.123.123 dbname=ProductionDB user=ROUser
password=secret',
          'select * from users') as t1(userid uuid, email varchar(50),
alias varchar(50), fullname varchar(50), password varchar(100));

Now, on my production database I can run:

    SELECT * FROM ProdLink.Users;

And see all users on my production database.  I can then do things like:

    INSERT INTO Users SELECT * FROM ProdLink.Users L WHERE NOT EXISTS
(select 1 from Users where Users.UserId = L.UserId);

Allowing me to pull in every user from production that doesn't already
exist in test.

I have about 30 of these views to *proxy* the production data, however
I find it somewhat hacky to have to hardcode in the production
database connection info into each view.

Is there a good way to avoid hardcoding, or at least duplicating this
connection info on each view?  Can I use database level variables,
environment variables, or anything else instead?

PS - I also posted this question on StackOverflow for anyone who wants
points:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10605622/postgres-9-x-is-there-a-way-to-avoid-hard-coding-database-connection-info-into