Re: Making changes to PgAdmin for the OAuth flow PoC with Postgres - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From mahendrakar s
Subject Re: Making changes to PgAdmin for the OAuth flow PoC with Postgres
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 at 10:39, Khushboo Vashi
<khushboo.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 9:47 AM mahendrakar s <mahendrakarforpg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi PgAdmin Hackers,
>>
>>  I am working on oauth poc with Postgres, here the flow is:
>> Authentication Code with pkce
>>
> As per my knowledge, Postgres doesn't support Oauth2 authentication to connect a database server directly, of course
theother way is you can configure PEM authentication and then use it.

I'm working with pg community for oauth support on postgres and this
is the PoC which I'm working on as mentioned earlier.

>> In this flow, I need to configure or make changes to PgAdmin to
>>
>> 1. Pass additional parameters in the connection string like below for psql:
>>    ./psql  -U mahendrakars@microsoft.com -d 'dbname=postgres
>> oauth_client_id=xxxx oauth_client_secret=xxx
>> oauth_flow_type=auth_code'
>
> Did this work?
Yes, with my PoC changes in postgres, it works.

>>     I am not sure how to pass these params in PgAdmin or configure it
>> to pass them.
>>
>> 2. PgAdmin needs to listen on redirection url so that the user can
>> sign in and obtain the auth_code.
>> 3 . PgAdmin needs to send the auth_code to libpq  during the oauth flow.
>> 4. Libpq sends the  refresh_token  to PgAdmin ( and used in future to
>> get the access_token in which case PgAdmin sends it to libpq).
>>
>> Can you suggest what would be the best way to do this?
>>
> We have configured the Oauth2 authentication in pgAdmin only for login to the pgAdmin app, not for the database.
> You can check the Oauth module but my suggestion is that, first you try with a simple python script for your POC,
afterthat you can try with pgAdmin.

Okay.