GDAL package naming question - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From John Harvey
Subject GDAL package naming question
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hello folks,

I had a question about the GDAL package naming convention.
I noticed that PGDG will sometimes change the name of some packages in order to include the version of postgres that they were compiled against (or maybe that they require at runtime).  An example would be postgis2_95.

For reference, in the EPEL repo, PostGIS does not have the 95 modifier.
Here's a "yum list" result for postgis:
postgis.x86_64                          2.0.7-1.el7                    epel

I wanted to ask if there's a reason that GDAL didn't follow this convention.  Even though each version of GDAL has a BuildRequires line that specifies a pgmajorversion build dependency, the result isn't a gdal95 RPM.

Is the reason because there's no runtime dependency on postgres (just a build one only)?

Also, if I used a version of gdal that was compiled with PostgreSQL 9.2 with my postgis2_95 build, would there be cause for concern?  With the "95" off of the GDAL package name, it sort of implies that this sort of mixing / matching would potentially be safe.  I'm guessing that's not the case, but I figured it's worth asking.

Thank you!

Regards,
  -John Harvey