Authorizing select count() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Laetitia Avrot
Subject Authorizing select count()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

Vik Fearing pointed out the inconsistency in the SQL Standard that imposes using count(*) (with a star) but row)number() without it.

Vik's point of view is that we should be able to use row_number with a star, which is already implemented in Postgres.

My point of view is we could add support for count(). It does not remove the compliance with the SQL Standard, it just adds an extra feature.

You will find enclosed a patch proposal to allow count to be used without a star. I, on purpose, decided not to document this behavior, maybe that's wrong.

Have a great day,

Lætitia
Attachment