Re: debugging with gdb in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Mlodgenski
Subject Re: debugging with gdb in postgres
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Ravi Kiran <ravi.kolanpaka@gmail.com> wrote:
hi,

I am trying to learn how postgresql implements the join algorithms.

So I am trying to learn about the source code of the executor precisely the file nodenestloop.c .

In the executor file I have nodenestloop.o but no binary executor file.

I am using helios eclipse to edit the source code.

I want to use gdb for debugging that file, but for that gdb needs a executor file.

I want to Debug that file using gdb and attach the postgress process file.

Could anyone help me with how to debug that file using gdb and attach a process, I know that we can find out about the pid of the process by using this command in psql, select pg_backend_pid , but how exactly are we going to give this pid to gdb.

The wiki page may help

any help or related links wwould be grateful.

Thank you