Re: PostgreSQL Studio mailing list - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jim Mlodgenski
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Studio mailing list
Date
List pgsql-www

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 08/04/2014 12:19 PM, Jim Mlodgenski wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com
> > <mailto:alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Jim Mlodgenski wrote:
> >     > PostgreSQL Studio is starting to become more popular and a
> >     community is
> >     > starting to grow around it. I've been talking with hackers submitting
> >     > patches in private emails, but it would be much better to discuss new
> >     > features on a list.
> >     >
> >     > The list is intended to allow PostgreSQL Studio hackers to discuss
> >     issues,
> >     > new features and release schedules.
> >
> >     pgstudio-hackers?
> >
> > That would be perfect
>
> if it was jut pgstudio-general, then you could use the list for users as
> well.

Actually -- the BDR devs requested a mailing list too, and they were
told to use pgsql-general for the time being, and that a
project-specific mailing list would be created if traffic proves beyond
some (unspecified) level.  Why not do the same here?

Discussions about pgstudio would be very off topic for pgsql-general and could frustrate existing list members even if the traffic is relatively low. There would be threads about Java coding like should we use a GWT Timer in place of Thread.sleep. From a more general perspective, we'd be discussing things like Tomcat and Glassfish configuration.

BDR is a different topic and I think that could potentially be worse to mix with pgsql-general. Discussing features like global sequences that a similar to existing PostgreSQL features on pgsql-general could leave a bad impression of PostgreSQL for the new user when they realize its not in core. This is just multiplied when the threads are picked up by Google and people have no context of what BDR is, but its on the PostgreSQL general list.

(I just checked postgresqlstudio.org and there already is a list hosted
in bigsql.org.  Is this about giving the PostgreSQL Studio project more
visibility through postgresql.org?)

Yes, there is a list, but that list is running as part of the OpenSCG infrastructure. Many of the patches are coming from companies outside of OpenSCG and the project needs a list that is hosted on neutral ground to keep the momentum. If I was more sure about the future of pgFoundry, I would have just put the list and the whole project there in the first place.My goal of the list is to facilitate more community development for the project, not to give more visibility to users.

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/