Re: Masquerading a unique index as a primary key in 8.4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Masquerading a unique index as a primary key in 8.4?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM, David Pirotte <dpirotte@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The underlying purpose is to get Londiste to acknowledge the table's key,
>> and this strategy seems to work without any problems.  Londiste doesn't seem
>> to care that the "primary key" is only reflected in pg_index and isn't
>> accompanied by the relevant pg_constraint entry.  Is modifying the
>> underlying pg_catalog tables like this "Very Bad"?  Will it have mysterious
>> and unintended consequences, or can I get away with it?  Thanks!
>
> The badness I see that will eventually come back to bite you is that
> your unique constraint is lacking "NOT NULL" and a PK by definition
> has NOT NULL.  Therefore some other parts of the system is permitted
> to make that assumption, and when stuff fails because you lied to the
> system, you will probably never ever figure out or even know.

Agreed. I'd be more inclined to change londiste, or just ditch it for
something else that will recognize the unique index as a unique enough
identifier to enable replication. That limitation is kind of lame.

Robert Treat
conjecture: xzilla.net
consulting: omniti.com