Re: Interesting areas for beginners - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Interesting areas for beginners
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 6:24 AM Aleksander Alekseev
<aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:

> Hi Matheus,
>
> > Some months ago I've got my first patch accept [1], and I'm looking to try to
> > make other contributions.
>
> In personal experience reviewing other people's code is a good
> starting point. Firstly, IMO this is one of the most valuable
> contributions, since the community is always short on reviewers.
> Secondly, in the process you will learn what the rest of the community
> is working on, which patches have good chances to be accepted, and
> learn the implementation details of the system.
>
> Additionally I would like to recommend the following materials for self-study:
>
> * https://www.amazon.com/Database-System-Concepts-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/1260084507/
> ** Especially the chapter available online about PostgreSQL
> * https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSE8ODhjZXjZaHA6QcxDfJ0SIWBzQFKEG
> * https://www.timescale.com/blog/how-and-why-to-become-a-postgresql-contributor/

I would second the recommendation to help with patch reviewing because
it is one of the most valuable contributions you can make to the
project as well as a good way to start to build relationships with
other contributors, which will be helpful the next time they are
tearing apart one of your patches ;-)

In addition, two other resources to be aware of:
* Paul Ramsey has a really nice write up on his thoughts on getting
started hacking Postgres:
http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2022/10/postgresql-links.html

* I suspect you may have seen these, but in case not, the wiki has
several key pages to be aware of, which are linked to from
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net