Re: Online enabling of checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 04.03.2018, 23:30 +0100 schrieb Daniel Gustafsson:
> Agreed.  Looking at our current error messages, “in file” is conventionally
> followed by the filename.  I do however think “calculated” is better than
> “expected” since it conveys clearly that the compared checksum is calculated by
> pg_verify_checksum and not read from somewhere.
>
> How about something like this?
>
> _(“%s: checksum mismatch in file \”%s\”, block %d: calculated %X, found %X”),
>       progname, fn, blockno, csum, header->pd_checksum);

I still find that confusing, but maybe it's just me. I thought the one
in the pageheader is the "expected" checksum, and we compare the "found"
or "computed/calculated" (in the page itself) against it.

I had the same conversation with an external tool author, by the way:

Maybe we should just say "on disk" for the one that's on disk, would that break the confusion? So "calculated %X, found %X on disk"?