Re: pg_basebackup Compression Problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_basebackup Compression Problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Ankur Kaushik <ankurkaushik@gmail.com> wrote:

OS Config :

Linux  2.6.32-573.12.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 15 18:25:17 UTC 2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
Kernel \r on an \m

When We do with manual gzip to to generated tar it works but problem when we do with pg_basebackup

This is a 32-bit operating system. pg_basebackup does not use whatever features are in libz for dealing with files larger than 4Gb on a 32-bit operating system, so that's your issue right there.

How did you find yourself with a 32-bit operating system in 2017? I think the general idea when we built that into pg_basebackup was that nobody with anything that big would be running a 32-bit operating system those days, and certainly not now..

Your workaround for that is to make pg_basebackup write to stdout, and use an external gzip in a pipe.

//Magnus