Re: Unclear EOL - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Unclear EOL
Date
List pgsql-www

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 9/11/18 10:52 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 9/11/18 10:39 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> * Jonathan S. Katz (jkatz@postgresql.org) wrote:
>>> I think we are saying similar things though...the content of the page
>>> needs some hierarchical restructuring, and yes, I'm convinced of some
>>> language cleanups as well.
>>>
>>> To make it more tangible, I'm happy to propose a patch in a few.
>>
>> The point I was getting at is that we don't just need a patch here- our
>> current EOL policy is really quite vague and confusing.  Trying to
>> reword that confusing and vague policy doesn't change that it's
>> confusing and vague- to deal with that, we need to actually change the
>> policy, which is what I'm advocating for here.
>
> We're saying the same thing. I just wanted to have something in writing
> so it's more tangible and easier to discuss.

Please see attached patch the includes the wording updates.

+The PostgreSQL Global Development Group releases a new major version containing
+new features about once a year. Each major version receives bug fixes and, if
+need be, <a href="/support/security/">security</a> fixes that are released every three months in what we call a
+"minor release." For more information on the minor release schedule, you can
+view the <a href="/developer/roadmap/">minor release roadmap</a>.

That needs to be "at least every three months". We sometimes release more often.

The one thing that is not included is making "EOL Month" => "Expected
Last Release" - currently this is set dynamically by "core.Version.eoldate"

AFAICT this is only used in one place, on this page, and perhaps we can
re-purpose it to reflect "Expected Last Release"

Yes, that's the only thing it's used for. So you should be able to keep using that one, just stop truncating the output to month level in the template.

//Magnus