Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed
Date
In response to Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed  (Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: [HACKERS] Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort fordescribe commands, when size is printed  (Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> wrote:
On 28 October 2017 at 13:46, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> I though about Alexander proposal, and I am thinking so it can be probably
> best if we respect psql design. I implemented two command suffixes
> (supported only when it has sense) "s" sorted by size and "d" as descent
>
> so list of tables can be sorted with commands:
>
> \dt+sd (in this case, the order is not strict), so command
> \dtsd+ is working too (same \disd+ or \di+sd)
>
> These two chars are acceptable. Same principle is used for \l command
>
> \lsd+ or \l+sd
>
> What do you think about it?

I really hate that syntax. This is going to turn into an
incomprehensible mess, and isn't easily extended to support other
options.

+1. While useful in itself, I think it's definitely a dangerous pattern to go down, as it'll only get worse.

I agree with people who have said they would prefer this to be
available as a per-command option rather than as a variable that you
have to set, but it needs a clearer syntax. I actually like Stephen's
idea of using a user-defined SQL snippet, because that's a familiar
syntax to people, and it avoids adding an ever-increasing number of
options to these commands. Instead, the syntax could simply be:

+1 here as well. And anybody who is actually going to need this level of control definitely will know SQL...

And if one wants to save some "standard patterns", it should be doable to save the pattern itself in a variable and then use it with something like "\dt :mysort" and have it expand the normal way there.