Re: Securing "make check" (CVE-2014-0067) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Securing "make check" (CVE-2014-0067)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 05:51:46PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 03/01/2014 05:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >One other thought here: is it actually reasonable to expend a lot of effort
> >on the Windows case?  I'm not aware that people normally expect a Windows
> >box to have multiple users at all, let alone non-mutually-trusting users.
>
> As Stephen said, it's fairly unusual. There are usually quite a few
> roles, but it's rare to have more than one "human" type role
> connected to the machine at a given time.

I, too, agree it's rare.  Rare enough to justify leaving the vulnerability
open on Windows, indefinitely?  I'd say not.  Windows itself has been pushing
steadily toward better multi-user support over the past 15 years or so.
Releasing software for Windows as though it were a single-user platform is
backwards-looking.  We should be a model in this area, not a straggler.

Terminal Services have definitely become more common over time, but with faster and cheaper virtualization, a lot of people have switched to that instead, which would remove the problem of course.

I wonder how common it actually is, though, to *build postgres* on a terminal services machine with other users on it...

Not saying we can't ignore it, and I gree that we should not be a straggler on this, so doing a proper fix wwould definitely be the better.

> I'd be happy doing nothing in this case, or not very much. e.g.
> provide a password but not with great cryptographic strength.

One option that would simplify things is to fix only non-Windows in the back
branches, via socket protection, and fix Windows in HEAD only.  We could even
do so by extending HAVE_UNIX_SOCKETS support to Windows through named pipes.

That could certainly be a useful feature of it's own. But as you say, non-backpatchable.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/