Re: PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 release announcement draft
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:34 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 2020-09-15 18:10, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> To upgrade to PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 from Beta 3 or an earlier version of
>> PostgreSQL 13, you will need to use a strategy similar to upgrading
>> between
>> major versions of PostgreSQL (e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` /
>> `pg_restore`).
>
> Is this correct?  I don't see a catversion change between beta3 and rc1.

We've typically recommended doing the pg_upgrade since they may be
coming from a version with a lower catversion. I can change "you will
need" to "you may need" to be more accurate, but then that leads to the
question "who may need?".

Perhaps the safest way to say it would be:

"To upgrade to PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 from Beta 3 or an earlier version of
PostgreSQL 13, you may need to use a strategy for upgrading between
major versions of PostgreSQL (e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` /
`pg_restore`). If you are unsure of the upgrade strategy to use, we
recommend using the major version upgrade strategy."

(Though, this is why when typically brought up, I leave it at need, as
it's more succinct, and those who are typically upgrading between betas
+ rcs tend to be more in the weeds anyway ;)

> Also, if correct, the word "similar" seems redundant or confusing here.

So if we opt to keep the above language:

"To upgrade to PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 from Beta 3 or an earlier version of
PostgreSQL 13, you will need to use a major version upgrade strategy,
e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` / `pg_restore`."

 Maybe something like:

To upgrade from beta <when was the last catversion change>, you will need to use a major version upgrade strategy..... To upgrade from beta <when there was no catversion change>, just installing the new version and restarting PostgreSQL is enough.