Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting forpg_basebackup, in the server side - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting forpg_basebackup, in the server side
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 11:15 PM Peter Eisentraut

> On 2020-03-05 05:53, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > Or, as another approach, it might be worth considering to make
> > the server always estimate the total backup size whether --progress is
> > specified or not, as Amit argued upthread. If the time required to
> > estimate the backup size is negligible compared to total backup time,
> > IMO this approach seems better. If we adopt this, we can also get
> > rid of PROGESS option from BASE_BACKUP replication command.
>
> I think that would be preferable.

From a UI perspective I definitely agree.

The problem with that one is that it can take a non-trivlal amount of
time, that's why it was made an option (in the protocol) in the first
place. Particularly if you have a database with many small objets.

Is it enough to care about? I'm not sure, but it's definitely
something to consider. It was not negligible in some tests I ran then,
but it is quite some time ago and reality has definitely changed since
then.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/