Re: Bug tracker tool we need (was: Last gasp) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Bug tracker tool we need (was: Last gasp)
Date
Re: Bug tracker tool we need (was: Last gasp)  (Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 18:24, Alex <ash@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>> I've used Redmine a lot, as you know, and I only keep using it because
>>> it's a requirement at work.  It is certainly not close to usable for
>>> general pgsql stuff.  (Trac, which we used to use prior to Redmine, was
>>> certainly much worse, though).
>>
>> Same story here, still using redmine a lot, all with custom reports etc.
>>
>>> I can't say that it's all that slow, or that there's a problem with the
>>> code, or that the search doesn't work right (and I've never had a wiki
>>> edit disappear, either, and I've used that a lot).  It's just the wrong
>>> tool altogether.
>>
>> It's indeed slow here, and I agree that's not the problem. Not the tool
>> we need, +1.
>
> I still fail to see how Redmine doesn't fit into requirements summarized
> at that wiki page[1], so that must be something other than formal
> requirement of being free/open software and running postgres behind
> (some sort of "feeling" maybe?)

One thing to note is that the referenced wiki page is over a year old.
And that many more things have been said on email lists than are
actually in that page.

But as one note - I don't believe you can drive redmine completely
from email, which is certainly a requirement that has been discussed,
but is not entirely listed on that page.

> Jay, Alvaro, Dimitri (and whoever else wants to speak up) could you
> please describe your ideal tool for the task?
>
> Given that every other existing tool likely have pissed off someone
> already, I guess our best bet is writing one from scratch.

FWIW, I think the closest thing we've found so far would be debbugs -
which IIRC doesn't have any kind of reasonable database backend, which
would be a strange choice for a project like ours :) And makes many
things harder...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/