Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
From: Peter Geoghegan [mailto:pg@heroku.com]
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >> [Windows]
> >> #clients  on    off
> >> 12     29793  38169
> >> 96     34261  67668
> >
> > This ranges from a 28% to a 97% speed improvement on Windows!  Those
> > are not typos!  This is a game-changer for use of Postgres on Windows
> > for certain workloads!
>
> While I don't care all that much about performance on windows, it is a little
> sad that it took this long to fix something so simple. Consider this exchange,
> as a further example of our lack of concern here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/30619.1428157653@sss.pgh.pa.us

Probably, the useful Windows Performance Toolkit, which is a counterpart of perf on Linux, was not available before.  Maybe we can dig deeper into performance problems with it now.

As a similar topic, I wonder whether the following still holds true, after many improvements on shared buffer lock contention.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-resource.html

        "The useful range for shared_buffers on Windows systems is generally from 64MB to 512MB."

Yes, that may very much be out of date as well. A good set of benchmarks around that would definitely be welcome.