Re: Something else about Redo Logs disappearing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Something else about Redo Logs disappearing
Date
Re: Something else about Redo Logs disappearing  (Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 10:13 PM Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org> wrote:

Okay. So lets behave like professional people and figure how that
can be achieved:
At first, we drop that WAL requirement, because with WAL archiving
it is already guaranteed that an unbroken chain of WAL is always
present in the backup (except when we have a bug like the one that
lead to this discussion).
So this is **not part of the scope**.

I would assume that anybody who deals with backups professionally wouldn't consider that out of scope, but sure, for the sake of argument, let's do that.

! This is only one option though, there are others- you can also use
! pgbackrest to push your backups to s3 (or any s3-compatible data storage
! system, which includes some backup systems), and we'll be adding
! support

! I concur that this is becoming a madhouse, and is pushing past the limit
! for what I'm willing to deal with when trying to assist someone.

Well, then that might be a misconception. I'm traditionally a
consultant, and so I am used to *evaluate* solutions. I don't need
assistance for that, I only need precise technical info.

Excellent. Then let's stick to that.

This STILL needs threaded programming (as I said, there is no way to
avoid that with those "new API"), but in this case it is effectively
reduced to just grab the return-code of some program that has been
started with "&".

There is *absolutely* no need for threading to use the current APIs. You need to run one query, go do something else, and then run another query. It's 100% sequential, so there is zero need for threads. Now, if you're stuck in shellscript, it's a little more complicated. But it does not need threading.

But then, lets think another step forward: for what purpose do we
actually need to call pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() at all?
I couldn't find exhaustive information about that, only some partial
facts.

It has a fair amount of detail of the underlying reasons, and of course links to all the details.

Things that remain to be figured out:
 1. What does pg_start_backup actually do and why would that be
    necessary? I could not find exhaustive information, but this can
    probably figured from the source. Currently I know so much:
     - it writes a backup_label file. That is just a few lines of
       ASCII and should not be difficult to produce.

It does that only in exclusive mode, and doing that is one of the big problems with exclusive mode. So don't do that.

I now hope very much that Magnus Hagander will tell some of the
impeding "failure scenarios", because I am getting increasingly
tired of pondering about probable ones, and searching the old
list entries for them, without finding something substantial.

Feel free to look at the mailinglist archives. Many of them have been explained there before. Pay particular attention to the threads around when the deprecated APIs were actually deprecaed. I believe somebody around that time also wrote a set of bash scripts that can be used in a pre/post-backup-job combination with the current APIs.

//Magnus