Re: Columns of pg_stat_activity - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Columns of pg_stat_activity
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:04, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:50:43PM +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>> On 11 April 2012 21:46, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> > Since we are wacking around pg_stat_activity for 9.2, what do people
>> > think about these column names?
>> >
>> >         backend_start    | timestamp with time zone |
>> >         xact_start       | timestamp with time zone |
>> >         query_start      | timestamp with time zone |
>> >
>> > Arguably:
>> >
>> >        backend_start -> session_start
>> >        query_start -> statment_start
>> >
>> > Should we make any of these changes?
>>
>> Sounds like a lot of potential breakage to solve something I don't
>> think is a problem.  Besides, isn't the door for 9.2 changes now
>> closed and bolted?
>
> Well, we renamed procpid -> pid and I noticed these others.  Not sure if
> it is a win or not, but just asking.

We also renamed current_query -> query, but that was mainly because it
actually changed meaning.

But. Since we already whacked around procpid->pid, yes, if we're ever
going to change those, now is the time, really.

I think at least backend_start -> session_start would make sense.

Not sure about the other one - what's wrong with query_start?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/