Re: slower connect from hostnossl clients - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: slower connect from hostnossl clients
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se> wrote:
On 06/07/2016 12:18 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Intersting. Can you check with a network trace that it actually turns
> off ssl, so nothing is broken there?
>
> One thing that could be taking the time is an extra roundtrip -- e.g. it
> tries to connect with ssl fails and retries without. A network trace
> should also make this obvious, and can hopefully show you exactly where
> in the connection the time is spent.

I think this is to be expected given that the backend code initializes the TLS connection before it looks at anything in pg_hba.conf. The TLS connection setup is done when calling BackendInitialize() which happens very early in the life of a backend.

I am not familiar enough with this part of the code to know if there is a reasonable way to fix this.

Hm. You're saying it's the actual loading-of-certificate-and-setting-up-context that's slowing it down, not the actual connection step?

Interesting, hadn't thought of that. I guess it can be - but it would definitely be good to identify if that's really the case. If it is there is definitely some optimization to be done there.