Re: BUG #17940: PostgreSQL Installer For Windows Cannot Initialize Cluster When BeyondTrust Installed - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: BUG #17940: PostgreSQL Installer For Windows Cannot Initialize Cluster When BeyondTrust Installed
Date
In response to RE: BUG #17940: PostgreSQL Installer For Windows Cannot Initialize Cluster When BeyondTrust Installed  (Joel Rabinovitch <Joel.Rabinovitch@tecsys.com>)
Responses Re: BUG #17940: PostgreSQL Installer For Windows Cannot Initialize Cluster When BeyondTrust Installed  (Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep.thakkar@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-bugs

On Tue, May 23, 2023, 17:20 Joel Rabinovitch <Joel.Rabinovitch@tecsys.com> wrote:

Hi,

I realize it’s not a PostgreSQL database engine bug, but more of an EDB Installer bug.

I did contact Enterprise DB (EDB) and they suggested to log it in the pgsql-bugs mailing list, as I am using the “community” version of the Windows installer (i.e. no paid support).

While edb do (AFAIK) publish the source to the installer, I don't believe there are any outside contributors and there is no public process for the development of it. If they're claiming there's a community version of the installer itself I'd say they're incorrect. It does install the community version of postgres though - but your issue seems related to the installer rather than postgres itself. So there is nothing the community can do to help you there.

Hopefully, someone from EDB will look at it and eventually address it.

In the end, the problem should be addressed by BeyondTrust as it is their software that is causing the problems. The issue has been that the vendor has been unable to resolve the issue to date. This is why I have been trying this “alternative” route instead.

Yes it definitely sounds like the program is in BeyondTrust here. And if they are unable to resolve it maybe they shouldn't be trusted (pun intended).

The installer always runs with elevated privileges I believe, but drops them when initializing the database. It seems BeyondTrust somehow breaks this process..

Bottom line is, unfortunately, that if it works without that product installed and fails with it, then you're stuck with having them fix it.

/Magnus