Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA  (Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>)
List pgsql-www
wasjust setting up a new PostgreSQL ubuntu server, and was kind of<br /> > stunned by the unnecessary complexity of
theinstall instructions at<br /> > <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/">http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/</a>. Also,
theydon't work.<p dir="ltr">Worst bug report ever? I really would think you knew better... <p dir="ltr">*what* does not
work?<br /><p dir="ltr">> If we're going to move our users to <a
href="http://apt.postgresql.org">apt.postgresql.org</a>,we really need<br /> > to provide a PPA for easy install.<p
dir="ltr">Why?You keep claiming that a certain product is needed in different scenarios. If that was actually true in
mostcases, no progress would've been made on the postgres project at all in the past 5 years at least. <p
dir="ltr">Now,I can agree the process needs to be improved. But requiring a specific product is not the way - why don't
youactually tell us what the *problem* is, so that the proper solution can be given, regardless of what product is
used?<br /><p dir="ltr">That said, I believe Christophe has on his to do list to set up a "repository package" to
simplifyinstallation. Kind of the same way it works for the yum repository. We do not agree on the priority and the
importanceof that (and for the record, I'm on your side here thinking it's really important), but iirc we did agree on
thatbeing the most way forward. I don't know if he's started the work in it yet though. <p dir="ltr">/Magnus <br />