Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-www
On 02/13/2013 09:20 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2013 12:05 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com
> <mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Folks,
>  >
>  > I was just setting up a new PostgreSQL ubuntu server, and was kind of
>  > stunned by the unnecessary complexity of the install instructions at
>  > http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/.  Also, they don't work.
>
> Worst bug report ever? I really would think you knew better...
>
> *what* does not work?

It all works. The problem is, the number of steps in comparison to just
having a PPA.

>  > If we're going to move our users to apt.postgresql.org
> <http://apt.postgresql.org>, we really need
>  > to provide a PPA for easy install.
>
> Why? You keep claiming that a certain product is needed in different

Because it is what is expected by Ubuntu users.

When you want custom packages from a custom repo, you install a PPA.
When you want KDE 4.10 for precise you type KDE 4.10 precise PPA into
google.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579