Re: [BUGS] BUG #14543: libpq fails with group readable ssl keys - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14543: libpq fails with group readable ssl keys
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> We changed Postgres 9.6 to allow open group permissions on the
> _server_'s SSL key if it was owned by root:
>       Allow the server's <acronym>SSL</> key file to have group read
>       access if it is owned by <literal>root</> (Christoph Berg)
> Is this something we should change on the client?  I don't see why not,
> but the 'root' requirement would still remain.

I'm pretty suspicious of doing this on the client side.  It doesn't seem
as useful, and it would open up a bunch of issues concerning e.g. what
cert authentication actually is authenticating.

It does rapidly tread into platform-specific behaviour and exactly how groups are used, yeah.

I wonder if a better choice might be to have a way to override the behavior. We're mostly trying to defend against an accidental misconfiguration after all. So perhaps we should have a way to specify something like sslkey=/foo/bar:insecure or something like that, which would ignore the permissions check on it. In this case it's very clearly a *voluntary* configuration that the user did, and therefor any analysis of the security of doing it is on them, but we retain the default behavior of clearly pointing out to a user that what they're doing might be insecure?