Re: Upgrading doc does not mention pg_restore at all - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Upgrading doc does not mention pg_restore at all
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Folks:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/upgrading.html

... no mention of pg_restore of any kind.  Is there any reason why
someone (maybe me) *shouldn't* rewrite this to include pg_restore?

I can't see any reason - it definitely should mention it.

Frankly, I think recommending psql to restore is a bad idea ...

Yes. And recommending pg_dumpall > sqlfile, but that goes hand in hand with that.

It also says that the least-downtime way is to use pg_dumpall in a pipe to psql. That's clearly not correct, since it does not support parallel restore (or parallel dump).

In short, +1 for you to write a patch that changes that.

It could probably deserve a better descirption of pg_upgrade as well, and an outline of the differences. Right now we spend the majority of the page on pg_dump, and then just say "oh, with pg_upgrade it only takes minutes"...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/