Re: Weird mangling of a commit log entry in gitweb summary - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Weird mangling of a commit log entry in gitweb summary
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 10:19 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 09:34:23AM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > I have no idea why but it's clearly getting confused by the single
> > > quote. But it doesn't appear to do that in other places where there's
> > > a single quote in there. I see nothing strange with the commit message
> > > itself, and the cgit view of it shows nothing strange either...
> >
> > How do you know it's the single quote?  The problem is not adjacent to
> > that.  Maybe it's replacing the string "branch name followed by period"
> > with an empty string.
>
> It looks like some gitweb's heuristics to try to reduce the title name:
>
> https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/gitweb/gitweb.perl#L3570-L3572
>
> > if (length($title) > 50) {
> >       $title =~ s/(master|www|rsync)\.//;
> > }

Hah. I searched that code for a lot of things. but clearly not that one.

AFAICT this is not functionality that can be turned off, it's all
hardcoded both in what it searches and when it does it. :/

I doubt it's worth forking and maintaining a fork just to handle this
situation given how seldom it shows up.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/