Re: GSoC Proposal on Improve pgeu-system Management for Conference - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: GSoC Proposal on Improve pgeu-system Management for Conference
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 5:06 PM Saurav Shrivastav
<sauravsrivastav103@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am Saurav Shrivastav, a second-year CS student from India. I'd like to contribute to the project "Improve
pgeu-systemfor Conference Management" for GSoC 2021. I've attached a link to my draft proposal, it'd be great to have
somereviews on the same.

Hi!

Thanks for your interest!

A few very quick comments:

1. When it comes to the functionality of sending HTML emails, one of
the most important ones (as it is most of the emails sent) will be to
be able to do this as part of the conference emailing system, which
requires per-conference templating.  For this, you will have to also
study the part that is in send_conference_mail(), not just
send_template_mail() (both need to be included of course).

1b. I think you can simplify the handling by supporting just plaintext
and markdown as the "source" formats for email, there is no need to do
direct HTML in them. However, both the system styling and the
individual conference styling must provide ways to override the basic
layout of the emails in the form of HTML of course.

2. The part about user tracking is not something we want. I would not
object to adding this functionality to the code in principle, as long
as it is optional and turned off by default. But as it is not
something that we (pgeu) are going to be interested in using (we are
not in the habit of unsolicitedly tracking our users), I would suggest
that you push this task to the lowest priority and focus on the other
functionalities first.

3. On the form/survey system, one of the most important things we want
from that is to be able to tie it into the membership system and the
conference system. That is, surveys specifically for members, or
specifically for attendees or subsets of attendees of a conference,
and integrated into the conference layout engine.  For the conference
part, consider something similar to how the Signups system works now,
but with generic forms (the signup system only allows a single answer
from a dropdown, and nowhere near enough configurability). I don't
think having a single system that also works across other postgres
sites that are not using the pgeu-system code is particularly
important -- but it's of course a nice thing to have, as long as it's
not at the expense of the integration.

Thanks!

--
 Magnus Hagander