Re: Changing Character Sets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Changing Character Sets
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Tim Gustafson <tjg@ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Is there any way to change the character set of a database and its tables?
>
> I did a pg_dumpall to upgrade from Postgres 8.4 to Postgres 9.2, and
> all the tables came back as UTF-8, and now Bacula is complaining that
> it wants SQL_ASCII encoding for everything.  I don't see a flag on
> pg_dumpall or pg_restore to set which character encoding I'd like, and
> Google has failed me.

What you're looking for is to change the encoding, right, and not the locale?

You can't change the encoding of a database, but you can use a
different one when you create it - this can be specified in the CREATE
DATABASE statement.

You can also ask pg_dump to use a specific encoding using the -E
parameter. You can't do it on pg_dumpall, but you can do it if you use
pg_dump.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/