Re: sync_seqscans in postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: sync_seqscans in postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 14:38, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Is there any reason why the setting synchronize_seqscans is in the
>> section "version/platform compatibility" in postgresql.conf? Is it
>> just because nobody could find a better place for it? ;) It seems a
>> bit wrong to me...
>
> Presumably the thought was that you would turn it off to restore that
> existed in older versions of PostgreSQL.  Doesn't seem much different
> from default_with_oids or lo_compat_privileges.

Seems very different to me - those change *what* happens when you do
certain things. sync_seqscans is just a performance tuning option, no?
It doesn't actually change the semantics of any operations...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/