Re: Installation instructions vs binaries - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Installation instructions vs binaries
Date
List pgsql-docs

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2020, at 02:43, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 8:05 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net <mailto:magnus@hagander.net>> wrote:

> That leaves just the part of adding the actual new chapter of my patch. PFA. Thoughts on that?

+1 on this version of the patch.

It seems a bit odd to me to capitalize Download, but since it's the name of the
referenced section I guess it's ok. Personally I'd have lowercased it.
+  the Download section on the <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> website at

Yeah, that was based on the fact that it's like that on the website. But I agree, it's a bit weird. I'll go change it.

Thanks to you both, pushed!

> I kinda want to be blunt, though, and point out that if the user is using a pre-packaged version that the packager, and not the core team, accepts responsibility for problem reports related to installation, on their support channel.  Please don't use pg-bugs.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect users to be able to separate bugs
caused by the installer and supporting scripts/wrappers, and those by for
example initdb.  AFAICR it's mostly the Windows installer which we get reports
for on -bugs, and the devs responsible for said installer have been quite quick
at responding so I don't really see a problem.

In some cases they probably can, but not in all cases. We do have people reporting debian isssues directly to debian and redhat issues directly to either redhat or our rpm packagers. Just not always.

We need a better workflow for reporting that, but this should really be coded into the website (I have a draft patch somewhere that I never finished), and not in the documentation. Because just saying "go somewhere else" doesn't help anybody, unless we can also tell them where this "somewhere else" is.

> We provide links on our website as a convenience, not as endorsement.

Do we?  For the software catalogue we explicitly say that we don't endorse any
software linked to but we don't do that anywhere on the PostgreSQL downloads
section.  Since these links are very much curated, I would think it reasonable
for users to think of them as endorsed by PGDG.

The things we have listed in the main download section on our website is definitely being endorsed by the project. And as you say, the product catalogue is different.