Re: [HACKERS] Making replication commands case-insensitive - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Making replication commands case-insensitive
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

$subject has been raised in a recent thread here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTmym5t-X6hvMF_P-KRc=ndXtbQCTiU=NhS_jvL7x1kCA@mail.gmail.com

The idea is to make the replication protocol a bit more flexible, in a
way similar to what 5c837dd has done, but for repl_scanner.l. This
will also allow to avoid any problems like what has been fixed in
aa41bc7 where the SHOW commands used in libpq have to be capitalized.
Personally, I have pested about the lack of flexibility a couple of
times when running tests using psql..

I am parking that in the next CF.

Given that the protocol really isn't intended for "manual consumption", do we really want that? Not that it adds a lot of complexity, but still. It certainly makes the code completely unreadable. And since any program using it should figure out pretty quickly that it's not working if they us the wrong casing...