Re: [bug fix] postgres.exe fails to start on Windows Server 2012 due to ASLR - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [bug fix] postgres.exe fails to start on Windows Server 2012 due to ASLR
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I've applied this and backpatched to 9.3 and 9.2, which is as far back as
> it goes cleanly.

> In 9.1 the build system looked significantly different, which makes it
> strange since the original report in this thread was about 9.1 but the
> patch supplied clearly wasn't for that.

> Does somebody want to look at backpatching this to 9.1 and earlier, or
> should we just say that it's not fully supported on those Windows versions
> unless you apply the registry workaround?

The question I think needs to be asked is not that, but "what about the
mingw and cygwin builds?".

Cygwin has their own implementation of fork(). So the fix there has to be done in cygwin and not us - presumably they have either already fixed it, or will fix it in order to get general compatibility with the new ASLR versions.

Mingw is a different story. But some googling indicates that mingw disables ASLR by default. You need to specify --dynamicbase if you want to to be dynamic, which we don't. (Being mingw I've not managed to find any actual docs, but for example http://lists.cypherpunks.ca/pipermail/otr-dev/2012-August/001373.html seems to indicate it has to be enabled).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/