Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 03:58, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 15:17, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> At
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html
>>> we say
>>>
>>> """
>>> Many people choose to use scripts to define their archive_command, so
>>> that their postgresql.conf entry looks very simple:
>>>
>>> archive_command = 'local_backup_script.sh'
>>> """
>>>
>>> It seems to me, however, that even a simple archive_command like that
>>> ought to contain at least %p, right?
>>
>> Should always need both %p and %f, no?
>
> Yes unless the script extracts the file name from the path given as %p.

Do we actually guarantee that this will wok?

I know our current implementation does, but does the contract in the
API actually guarantee that we will not change this implementation?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/