Re: Full text search with more than one word - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Full text search with more than one word
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:37 AM Ritanjali Majihee <rmajhee@247headhunting.com> wrote:

Hi Team,

We have around 20 millions of records in Postgresql database. One of the column is html document stored as Text datatype. We want Use this column in search functionality. We have converted html content to plaintext and created tokens using  to_tsvector. We have implemented full text search on this token column.

1.       When we search with one word and logical operators, it returns results as expected. Example: (“Jack” AND (“Jill” OR “Tom”) )

2.       However, when we use two or more worded search strings with logical operators, then it is not giving expected output. Example: for search string ("Jack Jill" OR "Jack Tom"), it is not searching for “Jack Jill” together but if it finds those two words in one text it returns. Here, if the column has “Jack Ryan Mark Jill”, it will return the row but, we are expecting it to return only when it is like  “Jack Jill Ryan Mark”. We found that proximity operator(<->) can be used in between the words. It returns the results as expected but, it takes way more than expected time to get the results; Performance is very poor with proximity operator.

Can you please help us solve this issue. Let us know  if you need any details from our side.

It sounds like what you're looking for is phrase search, but it's hard to figure out if you're actually using that and it's not working for you, or if you're not using it. Please provide examples of the exact SQL that you are using to populate your tsvectors and to do the actual searches.

//Magnus