Re: BUG #17448: In Windows 10, version 1703 and later, huge_pages doesn't work. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: BUG #17448: In Windows 10, version 1703 and later, huge_pages doesn't work.
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022, 05:55 Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Please keep the list in copy, especially if that's about Windows specific as
I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about it.

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 09:18:03AM +0000, Wilm Hoyer wrote:

> If you don't wanna go the manifest way, maybe the RtlGetVersion function is the one you need:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ddi/wdm/nf-wdm-rtlgetversion?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Thanks for the info!  I tried to use the function but trying to include either
wdm.h or Ntddk.h errors out.  Unfortunately I don't know how to look for a file
in Windows so I don't even know if those files are present.

That's a kernel api for use in drivers. Not in applications. You need the device driver developer kit to get to the headers.

It's not supposed to be used from a user land application.

But note the documentation comment that says: “RtlGetVersion is the kernel-mode equivalent of the user-mode GetVersionEx function in the Windows SDK. ".

Tldr, user mode applications are supposed to use GetVersionEx().

/Magnus