Re: PROXY protocol support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PROXY protocol support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 5:23 PM Peter Eisentraut

> A general question on this feature: AFAICT, you can only send the proxy
> header once at the beginning of the connection.  So this wouldn't be of
> use for PostgreSQL-protocol connection poolers (pgbouncer, pgpool),
> where the same server connection can be used for clients from different
> source addresses.  Do I understand that correctly?

Correct. It's only sent at connection startup, so if you're re-using
the connection it would also re-use the IP address of the first one.

For reusing the connection for multiple clients, you'd want something
different, like a "priviliged mode in the tunnel"  that the pooler can
handle.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/