Re: > ERROR: syntax error at or near "BYTE" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: > ERROR: syntax error at or near "BYTE"
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:33 AM postgresdba111@outlook.com <postgresdba111@outlook.com> wrote:
CREATE TABLE "A"
(
  "b"                 DATE,
  "c  "               NUMBER,
 " d "                  VARCHAR2(255 BYTE),
  "e "            VARCHAR2(255 BYTE))

  When ı create table then after error why error in byte please heplp me thanks

  error:> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "BYTE"

This is not valid syntax in PostgreSQL (or I believe, in SQL in general). This is Oracle syntax.

PostgreSQL does not have the number data type, so you'll eventually get a problem there as well. Which data type to use instead depends on what data you are actually going to store.

PostgreSQL does not have the varchar2 data type (so you will have to use varchar).

And finally, varchar just takes a number, not the special construct with BYTE. PostgreSQL varchar:s always limit the size based on number of characters, not bytes.