Re: GSSAPI, SSPI - include_realm default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: GSSAPI, SSPI - include_realm default
Date
Re: GSSAPI, SSPI - include_realm default  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   The include_realm default for GSSAPI and SSPI is currently
>   'include_realm=0', meaning that the realm is stripped off of the
>   Kerberos principal (aka the 'system' username) prior to looking up the
>   user in pg_authid.
>
>   This is fine in a single-realm environment but extremely dangerous
>   in a multi-realm environment, as user@REALMA is rarely the same as
>   user@REALMB.  Worse, a given environment can go from single-realm to
>   multi-realm with relative ease and most administrators aren't going to
>   expect applications to have a problem with that change.  Every other
>   Kerberos-enabled application which I'm aware of requires either the
>   full principal (including realm) be considered, or that the realm of
>   the principal matches the realm of the system (which is what OpenSSH
>   requires, as an example).
>
>   As such, I'd like to propose changing the default to be
>   'include_realm=1'.

Per our previous discussions, but to make sure it's also on record for
others, +1 for this suggestion.

>   Back when Kerberos support was originally added, we didn't have the
>   pg_ident regex-based mapping capability.  Today, users who wish to
>   strip the realm off would be best served by configuring a mapping in
>   pg_ident.conf which strips off exactly the realm name (or names, if
>   they are multi-realm where the users actually are the same individuals
>   in multiple realms) instead of using 'include_realm=0'.
>
>   Users who really wish to strip off the realm for their environment
>   would still be able to add 'include_realm=0' to their pg_hba.conf.
>   We would recommend against that in the documentation, however, and
>   explain how it's unsafe.  I would recommend that this be coached as
>   transistional support for users who wish to upgrade but don't want to
>   (further) change their configuration immediately, with the implication
>   that we might remove it some day.
>
>   This would be done for 9.5 and we would need to note it in the release
>   notes, of course.

I suggest we also backpatch some documentation suggesting that people
manually change the include_realm parameter (perhaps also with a note
saying that the default will change in 9.5).