Re: Commit subject line - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Commit subject line
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 05/06/2013 10:19 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Its worth to notice that neither git nor the kernel adhere to that
>>> limit...
>>
>> FWIW, the tool we use to generate the commit emails truncate it at 80
>> (minus the "pgsql: " header). We can increase that, but it only fixes
>> the email one, and not the one that people look at on the web...
>

> In practice, something else must be further truncating it, at about 64 chars
> by the look of it - see for example
> <http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E1UVTFj-00079k-2r@gemulon.postgresql.org>

Ha. Good point. There's actually a bit of a bug in the code there :)
What it does is limit the length to 80-length("pgsql: $shortmsg"),
which is 64. It is supposed to limit it to 80-length("pgsql: ")..
(Since it substitutes the actual commit message where $shortmsg is
found).

That's fixable though :)

> Re your other point, github at least seems to elide at about 70 chars  - see
> <https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/b42ea7981ce1e7484951a22662937541066d8647>
> - where Joe used a very long first sentence rather than a show summary line.
> I don't know if gitweb could be induced to elide after a greater length - I
> bet it could fairly easily. There does seem to be lots of spare screen real
> estate on the commit summary and history pages, which I think is where this
> occurs.

Possibly. I can never find my way around that one though, and making
any modifications also has us ending up maintaining what's basically a
fork - unless there's always a config argument for it somewhere.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/