psql output locations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject psql output locations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
We're either pretty inconsistent with our output in psql, or I'm not
completely understanding it.. I was trying to implement a switch that
would let me put all the output in the query output channel controlled
by \o, and not just the output of the query itself. Because that would
make it possible to control it from inside the script. Now, this made
me notice:

* There are 102 calls to psql_error(), 42 direct uses of
fprintf(stderr), and 7 uses of fputs(stderr). And there is also
write_stderr() used in the cancel handler. Is there actually a point
behind all those direct uses, or should they really be psql_error()
calls?

* There are a number of things that are always written to stdout, that
there is no way to redirect. In some cases it's interactive prompts -
makes sense - but also for example the output of \timing goes to
stdout always. Is there some specific logic behind what/when this
should be done?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/