Re: proper format for printing GetLastError() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: proper format for printing GetLastError()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 17:29, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> About half of our code prints GetLastError() using %d after casting it
> to int (actually, about half of that half uses %i, another thing to sort
> out, perhaps), and the other half uses %lu without casting.  I gather
> from online documentation that GetLastError() returns DWORD, which
> appears to be unsigned 32 bits.  So using %lu appears to be more
> correct.  Any arguments against standardizing on %lu?

Nope. I think it's only in there because of lazyness, in general. %lu
seems to be the correct choice.

> Secondly, it might also be good if we could standardize on printing
>
>    actual message: error code %lu
>
> instead of just
>
>    actual message: %lu

Or "actual error code: %lu"?

> Thirdly, why are we not trying to print a textual message?

I'd say that depends on where it is. In some cases probably  because
it's "can never happen" messages. In other cases because, well, no
reason :)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/