Re: Release Notes Archive Patch - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Release Notes Archive Patch
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi,

Attached is a proposed patch for archiving the release notes on the
website. The patch builds the release note archive without modifying the
schema and works with old and new releases.

It works as such:

- Find all release notes that have been loaded into pgweb (a process
that occurs each release when we load the documentation)
- Find the last modified release notes for each version. This accounts
for the old docs, e.g. there is a copy of the 9.2.8 notes in the 9.3.9
release, so we will render those
- There is a list of all release notes. If you click into it, you will
see the version specific release notes

Known adjustments to be made:

- The URLs on each release note page are broken. I have to figure out
how the best way to change the relative path in the URLs that are on the
page as it is going from the page root (/docs/release) instead of the
site root. This _should_ be easy
- Even with above fix, some URLs will be broken in them, i.e. references
to other release notes
- PostgreSQL v1 + v0: I need to relabel this for Postgres95
- Also, some of the earlier versions do not have the proper release
numbering (e.g. 1.03)

I'm hoping we can put this out with the upcoming release, but am ok with
doing this shortly thereafter.

Comments on patch and approach welcome.

A few comments on this one:

1. It loses the "go to next minor" and "go to previous minor" links in the previous release notes. Those should be easy enough to get back, but should be done. E.g. if I'm on 9.6.3, I want links to 9.6.2 and 9.6.4. And we should also use the change to make it more "explicit" and *also* have a link to 9.6.0 on all of them amonst the links themselves.

2b. In fact, we should use this chance to create a proper set of links, e.g. when you get to release notes for 9.6.0, it should right then and there provide a list of all the minor releases I think -- to avoid having to go back.

2. Links within the docs are just plain broken? E.g. the 9.6.0 release notes link to /docs/release/9.6.0/app-pg-dumpall.html which clearly doesn't exist. IIRC we discussed something around this, but it seems to have never made it into the patches? (It is listed in your known adjustments to be made above, but I could also not find a newer patch?)

3. That SQL query really needs some documentation, because it takes quite a bit of reading to figure out what it really means. And while it works on my dev install, it fails when i test-ran it on the current database with the error "ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: "prior". Most likely it comes from there being a file called release-prior.html in versions 9.4-11.0 now.

It should also be reviewed for the fact that you are pulling back *all* the documentation including *all* the contents in order to render a list of versions...That gets annoyingly expensive when you actually have the full set of documentation.

4. The "jump to..." list should probably be split between supported and unsupported versions, to keep it a bit less.

5. In general, there's a huge amount of numbers on the index page. I'm not sure what's a good way to format it better, I normally leave that to you :) But the page is not very friendly at this point with the massive list of numbers you have to scroll through.

//Magnus