Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Craig Ringer (craig@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > It also means that monitoring tools must run as superuser to see
> > information they require, which to me is a total showstopper.
>
> We've already got *far* too much of that going on for my taste.  I'd
> love to see a comprehensive solution to this problem which allows
> monitoring systems to run w/o superuser privileges.

Yeah, we need a CAP_MONITOR capability thingy.  (CAP_BACKUP would be
great too -- essentially "read only but read everything")

Isn't CAP_BACKUP pretty much the REPLICATION privilege?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/